Skip to main content

Her Little Steps

When my daughter took her first steps, I couldnt believe it. It was a mixture of emotion, disbelief and shock. All crampled into one. I had planned for this day for many days. I thought, well, when her day finally comes and she takes her first step, I will scream and shout. I would make a little video of her and share with her daddy and be the first one to tell him his daughter is walking. Make a big deal about it. I made the perfect visual video I could imagine. And all those that love her would call and eagerly show the concern they had for her to walk.   So I waited...phone always in hand to film her as she took those first baby steps.

She didnt. She suprised me actually. So on this day, I had little footsteps as she walked towards me. Tic Toc Tic Toc. In her little shoes she walked towards me. My back was facing away from her. And it was the most precious thing I ever felt. Save for the baby kicks in my womb. This was also one of the most priceless gifts. Couldnt explain the feeling.

And now it's a few months down the line. Watching her grow to a little girl has been amazing. Maybe the reason why I have dropped my writing skills. But it's been worth it. You never regret being a parent. It's a huge responsibilty God gives us. A little empty vessel we are all given. To fill with words and actions. As they grasp what they see and hear.

So in one of those moments, I decided to write;


Little girl walks with the majesty of a queen,

She walks with the swag of one who knows her purpose,

She knows where she wanna go,

Tap tap tap goes her little toddler feet,

Her little round bum moves with her,

Angelic in everyone’s eyes, she knows she’s a show stopper.

Little girl knows what she wants

For when she sets her mind on something,

Little girl will sure get it

Whether it’s waking Papi in the wee hours of the morning,

Or calling Papi till he responds,

Little girl will keep insisting till she has her own little way

And who would refuse her?

Little girl is growing so fast,

Knowing this, knowing that, imitating this, repeating that,

Tough in her own young way,

She’s got the world in her small tiny hands

This little honey bunny plum

She’s gonna be a great force

It's just awesome watching them grow! 

Have a blessed day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who made us judge(s)?

"You looked at her and yelled out, Instantly never thinking of how, That may have made her feel. Did you ever stop to think that she, Dressed like that because of how it Made her feel?...." The poem reads in part. When I first read this poem, I said to myself, "oh jeez number one culprit of judgement". You see, am always judging people. I will make a comment in mind of how a woman has dressed,make a face and go "whatever" when someone looks at my legs. I have never really taken time to ask myself why a person is how they are. Am sure the throne of judgement gets sat on by each one of us..on a daily basis. Do you cringe when you see people kiss or hold hands in public? Whisper words like, "braggers", "she will get dumped". Do you find yourself laughing at a fat person and quickly judge her? "consequences of french fries", "how does one get that fat? Wasn't she checking?". Or when you see a man in sweat s

Through My Daughter's Eyes

I have a little angel in my house. A little pretty, flower girl that throws her hands up whenever I come home. A sign of appreciation and admiration I suppose. She's a bright little piece of art. Learning things very fast. Words, actions all in a manner that's a combination of pretty, witty, funny and cute. Yet she doesn't forget an action or word said. May it be an advert on tele, a weird random action I just did unknowingly. It sticks in her little mind.  Sticks and never goes away. So we mind our language whenever we are around her. We watch what we do, the programmes we subject her to, because whatever she sees, she copies and permanently pastes in her little head. Shes an awesome piece. She seems to appreciate life every time she wakes up. Giving off a soft mourn so that I can know she has just woken up. And when I do, she seems to tell me with her eyes. Well, mummy, am glad to be living. The brightness in her face and eyes are priceless. When in most cases I woul

Of Everything There Is

Am a fan. A huge fan of my mother. Cliche, right? But nop, my mum is one sole soul, I would actually wanna return on earth to be with. She is an amazing woman. I have no clue where she gets the strength to push on from. But I know she must be a bit unique to do so. I have had an amazing life experience. Having lived my life like a cat, nine lives may be an under statement. I have had all the things a woman can(or should). I have been lucky, and blessed I guess. I have seen the best of life, actually had the best in life, and have also lost the best of life. I tend to think of my life as a zipped folder. Archived in a way that only those close can take a glimpse and wonder or maybe disappear. But no, not my mother. She believes there's nothing new on earth. All things that happen have once happened. So nothing is ever new. Bad or good, she has weathered many storms to see me(and my siblings) beat the odds, literally. Being a woman is hard enough as it is. There are many things