Skip to main content

Chains of Habits

"The only way to survive, to get off the floor, to build, to have ideas, to create businesses, to have flourishing relationships is with diversification" and I insert CHANGE. It's written that the Chains of Habits are too light to be felt till they are too heavy to be broken.

I have to admit this is not an easy ride. Changing comfortable behavior and replacing it with a boring painful one ain't fun at all.  I have tried a few diet program and I never quit finish. The last one was the GM diet. Boy, was my head confused or what! I thought I would die after the first day. A whole day on fruits, then the second day is just vegies. Well, I stopped on the second day. You see, for a woman whose hobby is eating meat, a fruit only diet wasn't going to make me new. But somehow I knew I had to change.

I wont bore you with the nitty-gritties, but well, after two babies and a petite body that loathes pain, I had to sit and plan my life. You see, I hate exercise. I have always had my perfect body and lived just fine. Till babies came knocking. So I ate like a maniac.  Added a lot of kgs and didn't flinch a bit. I was contented. Nothing pained me, I was happy, no one bothered me...it was me, myself and my hippo weight.

Till one day I walked into a mall and saw all the beautiful, skinny b**** and I knew I had caved my body  and sold my  soul to the devil. I had to bring it back. I had to start with my diet, exercise, my mind and diversification of my thoughts.

You see, as an African (so we have been brought up), skinny is unhealthy. My Dad prided himself on my chubby cheeks. He was proud he raised a little girl with chubby cheeks and a "fertile body". Whatever that meant seriously. A woman is made of curves, ask our ancestors. But wait till a flight of stairs make you breath like a rhinoceros, or be admitted in a hospital due to high blood pressure, or have to undergo two CS surgeries coz your body is at risk, then have a wound that takes a lifetime to heal coz of the layers of fat... then you realize it's no laughing matter. And you have a future to build and share with your children.

Well I had to plan for exercises. Not precisely because of the above maybe. But because I wanted a new me. I was tired of procrastination and a life of the past me. So I started by trying to hit the road, but man, wasn't this hell?

After sitting on my butt though and always thinking of what I could change drastically, I decided on a lifestyle change. I knew I didn't have enough money for surgery(tummy trim lol, I would surely pay for that. Anyone? *wink) so I wrote down a list of do's and don'ts.

Here's a list of the things I decided to change to better my life:
  1. Quit sugar
  2. Quit french fries
  3. Do cardios and ab workouts for 40min daily
  4. Eat less food portions
  5. Drink 2 liters of water daily
  6. Minimize on carbs  
  7. For all carbs cravings, drink water or a fruit or a carrot
After a month, will be here to write how all these 7 principles  have worked out for me.

Always remember, Take control of your habits. Take control of your life. As Gordon Parks said, “Enthusiasm is the electricity of life. How do you get it? You act enthusiastic until you make it a habit.”

After all's said and done, whatever habit you are willing to change, remember, “The soul grows into lovely habits as easily as into ugly ones, and the moment a life begins to blossom into beautiful words and deeds, that moment a new standard of conduct is established, and your eager neighbors look to you for a continuous manifestation of the good cheer, the sympathy, the ready wit, the comradeship, or the inspiration, you once showed yourself capable of....

 Bear figs for a season or two, and the world outside the orchard is very unwilling you should bear thistles.” Kate Douglas.

Have a good one, always!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who made us judge(s)?

"You looked at her and yelled out, Instantly never thinking of how, That may have made her feel. Did you ever stop to think that she, Dressed like that because of how it Made her feel?...." The poem reads in part. When I first read this poem, I said to myself, "oh jeez number one culprit of judgement". You see, am always judging people. I will make a comment in mind of how a woman has dressed,make a face and go "whatever" when someone looks at my legs. I have never really taken time to ask myself why a person is how they are. Am sure the throne of judgement gets sat on by each one of us..on a daily basis. Do you cringe when you see people kiss or hold hands in public? Whisper words like, "braggers", "she will get dumped". Do you find yourself laughing at a fat person and quickly judge her? "consequences of french fries", "how does one get that fat? Wasn't she checking?". Or when you see a man in sweat s

Through My Daughter's Eyes

I have a little angel in my house. A little pretty, flower girl that throws her hands up whenever I come home. A sign of appreciation and admiration I suppose. She's a bright little piece of art. Learning things very fast. Words, actions all in a manner that's a combination of pretty, witty, funny and cute. Yet she doesn't forget an action or word said. May it be an advert on tele, a weird random action I just did unknowingly. It sticks in her little mind.  Sticks and never goes away. So we mind our language whenever we are around her. We watch what we do, the programmes we subject her to, because whatever she sees, she copies and permanently pastes in her little head. Shes an awesome piece. She seems to appreciate life every time she wakes up. Giving off a soft mourn so that I can know she has just woken up. And when I do, she seems to tell me with her eyes. Well, mummy, am glad to be living. The brightness in her face and eyes are priceless. When in most cases I woul

Of Everything There Is

Am a fan. A huge fan of my mother. Cliche, right? But nop, my mum is one sole soul, I would actually wanna return on earth to be with. She is an amazing woman. I have no clue where she gets the strength to push on from. But I know she must be a bit unique to do so. I have had an amazing life experience. Having lived my life like a cat, nine lives may be an under statement. I have had all the things a woman can(or should). I have been lucky, and blessed I guess. I have seen the best of life, actually had the best in life, and have also lost the best of life. I tend to think of my life as a zipped folder. Archived in a way that only those close can take a glimpse and wonder or maybe disappear. But no, not my mother. She believes there's nothing new on earth. All things that happen have once happened. So nothing is ever new. Bad or good, she has weathered many storms to see me(and my siblings) beat the odds, literally. Being a woman is hard enough as it is. There are many things