Skip to main content

Kenyan Style; Of Forced Family Ties


Someone just died. A relative, you are told. He was a great cousin of yours. His dad was/is your dad's brother/cousin. You wonder. How come you never knew him? Mind not.
Within a few days, everyone has heard the "bad news". You wonder how this is your concern since everyone is expected to mourn. You have never seen this guy, or if you have, you got no clue how he looks like now. Even a few flashes of your childhood together don't seem to crop up.

You try to remember but nothing. Its 25+ years. You get so many phone calls from unknown persons reminding you of your contribution to this dead guy's farewell. You are beyond yourself now. Bored beyond words. Expected to be in a state of grief and still at the same time, expected to procure funeral arrangements (in terms of cash and planning) to this stranger you barely knew.

Welcome to the world. The world of crafty, evil, psychopathic people who only come together when money and death is involved. Now these kinda families appall me. They never meet for any damn reason. No Thanksgiving parties, no Christmas get-togethers, no family re-unions. Just Deaths! Or maybe Weddings, whereby the pity party will be turned into a gossip party and fishing for gift baits!

And after a relative is buried, they are quick to start a family Chama. So before you know it, you are in a family group full of strangers; expected to contribute a monthly fee to some peeps you barely even know. As if this is not enough, constant phone calls will be the order of the day. "Hey, mind if you loaned me some cash". "Can we meet for coffee?". "Can I crash at your place? I school nearby". And just like that you get yourself dozens of cousins that never gave Bull about you in the first place.

It's a funny setting. The monthly contributions never even last anyways. This new breed of cousins you just got, you forgot to look into even farther. Yes, it's like a cartel of con-men and con-women. So you never get your share of cash when the schemed  merry-go-round beeps YOU!

Two years down the line, some other f**** dies. You are back to zero. You meet the breed of vultures. They wanna know who you married. Is she in the same caste as you? Is she educated? Crap! They even wanna know how much she earns or if she's sucking the "wealth" out of you like a tapeworm. Yes, they have the audacity!!!

And the evil scheme continues....I say crap! The only family one should be involved with is the nuclear. If your parents weren't bright enough as to make you stick together, then forget about the whole damn thing. It's not that important. Family ties cannot be built when people are grown ups. After 21, forget that you even had a cousin or brother. If you don't talk, then trust me, that's not family.

Family is more than just a shared umbilical cord. It's a strong bond that attracts you to a brother/sister. That one person you have relations with on an almost daily basis. His affairs are your genuine concerns. Empathetic to the core.

Otherwise, when you find yourself trying to build family ties with grown ass niggers, then man, you are one lost sheep. Just find a career and a hobby. Do yourself some justice and build your own nigger family!! Then create the bonds!

Comments

Computer Doctor said…
Awesome... and well written. I know she will be happy when she reads this in a very near future

Popular posts from this blog

Who made us judge(s)?

"You looked at her and yelled out, Instantly never thinking of how, That may have made her feel. Did you ever stop to think that she, Dressed like that because of how it Made her feel?...." The poem reads in part. When I first read this poem, I said to myself, "oh jeez number one culprit of judgement". You see, am always judging people. I will make a comment in mind of how a woman has dressed,make a face and go "whatever" when someone looks at my legs. I have never really taken time to ask myself why a person is how they are. Am sure the throne of judgement gets sat on by each one of us..on a daily basis. Do you cringe when you see people kiss or hold hands in public? Whisper words like, "braggers", "she will get dumped". Do you find yourself laughing at a fat person and quickly judge her? "consequences of french fries", "how does one get that fat? Wasn't she checking?". Or when you see a man in sweat s

Through My Daughter's Eyes

I have a little angel in my house. A little pretty, flower girl that throws her hands up whenever I come home. A sign of appreciation and admiration I suppose. She's a bright little piece of art. Learning things very fast. Words, actions all in a manner that's a combination of pretty, witty, funny and cute. Yet she doesn't forget an action or word said. May it be an advert on tele, a weird random action I just did unknowingly. It sticks in her little mind.  Sticks and never goes away. So we mind our language whenever we are around her. We watch what we do, the programmes we subject her to, because whatever she sees, she copies and permanently pastes in her little head. Shes an awesome piece. She seems to appreciate life every time she wakes up. Giving off a soft mourn so that I can know she has just woken up. And when I do, she seems to tell me with her eyes. Well, mummy, am glad to be living. The brightness in her face and eyes are priceless. When in most cases I woul

Of Everything There Is

Am a fan. A huge fan of my mother. Cliche, right? But nop, my mum is one sole soul, I would actually wanna return on earth to be with. She is an amazing woman. I have no clue where she gets the strength to push on from. But I know she must be a bit unique to do so. I have had an amazing life experience. Having lived my life like a cat, nine lives may be an under statement. I have had all the things a woman can(or should). I have been lucky, and blessed I guess. I have seen the best of life, actually had the best in life, and have also lost the best of life. I tend to think of my life as a zipped folder. Archived in a way that only those close can take a glimpse and wonder or maybe disappear. But no, not my mother. She believes there's nothing new on earth. All things that happen have once happened. So nothing is ever new. Bad or good, she has weathered many storms to see me(and my siblings) beat the odds, literally. Being a woman is hard enough as it is. There are many things